Pets are family members, so it’s only natural to want to include them in your holiday festivities. From holiday decor to seasonal snacks, it can be overwhelming to know what puts your pet at risk and what is safe for them.
Our vet clinic in Bridgeport has compiled some helpful tips on what is safe and what you should avoid. If you have further questions, please check in with our team.
Cozying up with a book and lighting a holiday candle sounds like the perfect way to unwind, but open flames have the potential to go from cozy to chaos in a matter of seconds. It only takes one tail wag or a curious kitty to lead to potential disaster.
Instead, consider battery operated candles. Otherwise, always keep open flames on difficult-to-reach platforms to reduce the risk of your pet becoming injured.
Holiday Plants & Vines
The holiday season is often brought to life through poinsettias, mistletoe, holly, lilies and other festive plants. Although these plants are beautiful to look at, they are dangerous to pets.
Poinsettias can cause mouth sores in addition to GI problems. Mistletoe can cause diarrhea, nausea and vomiting if a large amount has been ingested. Certain lily species may result in severe kidney damage in cats simply as the result of ingestion of any part of the plant. It’s best to avoid live plants if possible.
Try to keep food leftovers to a minimum for your pet. If you’re going to give him or her something from the table, choose something that has minimal spices and is relatively bland. Avoid animal skins or fatty means like ham that can result in pancreatitis and other gastrointestinal issues.
Show your pet that you care about them by keeping them safe this holiday season! For more info, check out our helpful holiday video.
Contact our vet clinic in Bridgeport with any additional questions or concerns. Happy holidays!