Dr. June LaFave is the founding member of Urban PetRx. She worked formally as the Medical Director of the ER at Chicago Veterinary Emergency and Specialty Center which is now known as MedVet Chicago. She has also held tenure as Chief of Staff at PAWS. She has a strong interest in urgent care, surgery, pain management, ultrasound, complex medical cases and integrative therapies. She received her Graduate Diploma in Veterinary Western Herbal Medicine (Grad Dip VWHM) after completing a 2 year course of study in western herbal medicine. She is also certified in acupuncture.
Dr. LaFave’s Background
She earned her undergraduate degree in Anthropology (with a concentration in Human Biology) from the University of Pennsylvania in 1995. She then received her Veterinary Medical Doctorate from the University of Pennsylvania in 2003.
She is a member of:
- Independent Veterinary Practitioners Association (IVPA)
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Illinois State Veterinary Medical Association
- American Academy of Veterinary Nutrition
- College of Integrative Veterinary Therapies
- WATCVM & AATCVM – World Association of Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine and American Journal of Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine
- Veterinary Botanical Medicine Association (VBMA)
Dr. LaFave and her husband are originally from the East Coast. They moved to Chicago from Philadelphia in February 2005 after falling in love with the city during a visit. They have an Akita named Moe, a pocket Pittie named Dino Eddie Jr. and an FIV+ cat named Larry.
Dr. LaFave is a 2015 Primary Mediastinal B-Cell Lymphoma survivor. When she’s not at Urban PetRx, she is still thinking about her practice and ways to improve services for you and your pet. Otherwise, you can find Dr. LaFave spending time with her husband, watching Flyers hockey, searching for good seafood, at the gym, learning photography and cooking techniques, or enjoying urban and outsider art. She also has a new found love for racquetball.